rating: +4+x

Item #: SCP-ES-158

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: All congregations of SCP-ES-158-1 specimens shall be placed under observation and hidden from the public. A group of 6-7 armed guards will be deployed near the congregations and an outpost will be placed for bureaucratic purposes.

Due to the nature of SCP-ES-158-1 instances, any experiments with SCP-ES-158 or -ES-158-1 instances must first be approved by the congregation to which they belong.

Due to SCP-ES-158-Foundation Treaty (See Addendum-ES-158-2), a symbiotic relationship has been established between them, where the Foundation provides assistance to SCP-ES-158-1 instances and the latter provide food for various Sites and Areas located in Chile and Peru.

Description: SCP-ES-158 is a subspecies of Solanum tuberosum (potato) tentatively designated as Solanum braumium and currently widespread in Peru and Chile. SCP-ES-158 differs from S. tuberosum in:

  • Growth of 5 aerial stems arranged spirally one above the other.
  • Inflorescence randomly distributed among the stems.
  • Flower petals with yellowish bioluminescence.
  • No seed growth.
  • Single-phase electric current production capacity of 600-800 watts/second. In addition, it has an electrical conductivity of up to 220 amperes. Once this amount is exceeded, SCP-ES-158 will begin to wither.
  • Produces between 10-15 SCP-ES-158-1 instances.

SCP-ES-158-1 instances are sentient, sapient, autonomous and speech-capable beings, physically similar to potatoes. As for their average size, they grow to an average of 6-8 centimeters.

All specimens have flexible buds arranged in such a way that they form limbs. The lower extremities are a group of buds placed one after the other forming a ring, being these between 10-12 buds and with flat and hard ends. The upper limbs are composed of two buds, longer and thicker compared to the lower limbs, with terminations that divide the buds into 5 further buds and which present hairs that allow them to hold objects.

SCP-ES-158-1 instances have no nervous system, instead, they form a hive mind, using the SCP-ES-158 specimen from which they were born as their nervous system. Any action on an specimen will be perceived by the other offspring of the same SCP-ES-158 instance. All the specimens, although possessing different memories and personalities, share a decentralized memory that they call "The Stellar Fruit"1.

There are no detectable biological processes in SCP-ES-158-1 instances beyond biological degradation. Each individual has an opening analogous to a mouth. Within these, there is a tongue-like appendage that regulates incoming air, descending through a tube into a series of spirals that expel air through small holes around the specimens.

No specimen possesses senses analogous to those of animals; instead, they possess the ability to perceive changes in temperature and humidity at a considerable level for their self-preservation. Unlike normal potatoes, each specimen has an average lifespan of 4-6 years and, although they do not have an immune system, they seem to possess the ability to disseminate (and cleanse from their system) pathological agents that affect them through their lower limbs, which are temporarily rooted to the ground. This same mechanism is used for feeding, absorbing nutrients and nitrogen from the soil. It is not currently known where the elements absorbed by the specimens are transported to, although the most correct hypothesis at present is that of an indirect feeding to the mother plant2 due to withering when there are fewer SCP-ES-158-1 specimens.

Although they do not possess a digestive or excretory system, they have a hole in the center of the rim formed by the lower limbs. Their excretion consists of warm mashed potatoes as feces; a potato-flavored nutrient juice containing high levels of vitamin C, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, and other potato proteins and minerals as urine; and vegetable oil produced from the fat of the specimens as sweat. (See Addendum-ES-158-2)

Through interviews, it has been possible to confirm the existence of 3 sexes: male, female and umellas; each instance has an 80% chance of being born female or male, and 20% chance of being born umella. Although it exists, sexual dimorphism is minimal. SCP-ES-158-1 male instances can be differentiated by their dark exodermal hue, while females by their yellowish hue. The umellas have a grayish hue and tend to be more spherical than the other instances.

Relationships between the sexes are complex, and although there are no sexual relationships per se, there is an analogue designated as an SCP-ES-158-A Event. (See Addendum-ES-158-1)

SCP-ES-158-1instances are able to relate to each other and form groups. For detailed interaction between instances, see Addendum-ES-158-1.

Addendum-ES-158-1: Relationships between SCP-ES-158-1 instances; SCP-ES-158-A Events

Addendum-ES-158-2: Food Request of SCP-ES-158-1 Instances

Incident-ES-158-1: Triat-Irara War

On 10/20/2018, a declaration of war from the Triat was made known through the Irara. Attached below is an interview conducted with Sidrech Gram-Triat (member of the Triat).

Addendum-ES-158-3: Discovery of the Nilrem

On 02/26/2019 Site-118 was informed about an antimemetic condition affecting the villagers of [REDACTED], a rural town in western Bolivia. They reported not remembering a potato field noted in several written documents and topographic surveys. As a result, two agents were administered W-Class mnestics and released on the spot.

After 3:00 p.m., the agents found a previously undiscovered old plantation in an open field. The agents reported the presence of houses similar to those built by SCP-ES-158-1 specimens, but no SCP-ES-158-1 specimens were present. Also, about 10 instances of SCP-ES-158 were sighted, 9 of which were withered.14.

Inside the houses, scrolls written with the same language used by copies of SCP-ES-158-1 were found. It should be noted that most of the houses had scrolls of thaumaturgical and esoteric nature. Among the most remarkable texts, rituals were found for metabolic manipulations, plant growth, building structuring and mnemonic and informative manipulation, the latter were found together with another series of texts, detailing how to use them when, quoting a text fragment:

… Are extinguished. When the fires are lit. When we rot in iron and copper. Or when the Great Patapor Nation rises up.

We exist, we will exist. Even in their memories.

It is hypothesized that the site once functioned as a settlement of SCP-ES-158-1 instances belonging to an undiscovered lineage. It is known that this lineage was named as "Nilrem", as this name appears repeatedly among the scrolls found, referring both to the place of settlement and their advanced knowledge in thaumaturgy, culture and history.

Further research is ongoing.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License